Beginners Guide: How To Report Gst Amounts And Claim Gst Credits?

What to do with the GST amounts you collect Businesses use the BAS to let the ATO know how much they have earned, the amount of GST collected and the GST they paid for goods and services. When you get your BAS, fill it out, send it to the ATO and pay any money you owe by the due date. The due date is written on the BAS.

Keep the GST you’ve collected separately from your earnings. If you keep the GST in a different bank account, it is ready to be paid to the ATO when it is due.

How to claim back the GST you pay to suppliers (GST credits)

As GST is paid by the consumer, not businesses, you can claim back any GST you have paid for things that you have bought for your business.

To claim a GST credit for a purchase that costs more than $82.50 (including GST) you must be registered for GST and have a valid tax invoice that records what you have purchased for your business. In most cases, the business or supplier selling the goods or services issues the tax invoice.

When you receive this invoice, make sure that it contains the following information:

  • the supplier’s business or trading name
  • the supplier’s Australian business number (ABN)
  • the date of the tax invoice
  • a brief description of the items sold including the quantity and the price it was sold at
  • the GST amount (or a statement which says ‘The total price includes GST’)
  • your business name or ABN (if the taxable sale is $1,000 or more)
  • that the document is intended to be a tax invoice.

To claim a GST credit for a purchase that costs $82.50 or less (including GST), you must be registered for GST and you must keep documents such as cash register dockets, receipts or invoices to support your claims. You must also keep your tax invoices and other GST records for five years.


Even if you sell GST-free items, such as plain bread and bread rolls, you can claim GST credits for the GST included in the price of things that you buy to produce the items, for example, baking trays, measuring cups, and mixing bowls.

Consulting with KPG Taxation

Focus On Growing Your Business, Leave The Accounting On Us!

  • Income Tax : File your taxes & get the best claims & returns.
  • Accountancy : Hire expert accountants to manage your transactions.
  • Bookkeeping : Let us handle your record books and expense reports.
  • Business Advisory : From company set-up to payroll, we handle it all.