2021 Budget Summary
2021 Budget Summary
Tax-related measures announced included:
- Personal tax rates – no changes were made to personal tax rates. The Stage 3 personal income tax cuts remain unchanged and will commence in 2024-25 as already legislated.
- LMITO retained for 2021-22 – provides a reduction in tax of up to $1,080.
- Temporary full expensing extended – the Government will extend the 2020-21 temporary full expensing measures for 12 months until 30 June 2023 – businesses with aggregated annual turnover or the total income of less than $5 billion to deduct the full cost of eligible depreciable assets of any value, acquired from 7:30 pm AEDT on 6 October 2020 and first used or installed ready for use by 30 June 2023.
- Loss carry-back extended – the loss years in respect of which an eligible company (aggregated annual turnover of up to $5 billion) can currently carry back a tax loss (2019-20, 2020-21, and 2021-22) will be extended to include the 2022-23 income year.
- Individual residency test reformed – the Government will replace the existing tests for the tax residency of individuals with a primary “bright line” test under which a person who is physically present in Australia for 183 days or more in any income year will be an Australian tax resident.
- Employee share schemes – the Government will remove the cessation of employment as a taxing point for the tax-deferred employee share schemes.
- ATO debt recovery – the AAT will be given the power to pause or modify ATO debt recovery action in relation to disputed debts of small businesses.
- Self-education expenses – $250 threshold to be removed.
Focus On Growing Your Business, Leave The Accounting On Us!
- Income Tax : File your taxes & get the best claims & returns.
- Accountancy : Hire expert accountants to manage your transactions.
- Bookkeeping : Let us handle your record books and expense reports.
- Business Advisory : From company set-up to payroll, we handle it all.