Gift cards are for gifts, not payments. Anyone who demands payment by gift card is always a scammer.
- How Gift Card Scam happens?
- What to do if you have paid a scammer via gift card
- General precautions to follow while giving and receiving gift cards
Let’s understand the methodology of a gift card scammer so that we can prevent any such fraud and keep our hard earned money safe.
How Gift Card Scam happens?
Have you came across an imposter asking you to pay via gift cards? Even if you have been lucky, it is time to be alert from such frauds. Someone might call you and claim to be from the ATO, collecting back taxes or fines. The caller might say he’s from tech support, asking for money to fix your computer. The caller might even say she’s a family member with an emergency and needs money right now.
What to do if you have paid a scammer via gift card
General precautions to follow while giving and receiving gift cards:
- Buy gift cards from sources you know and trust.
- Inspect a gift card before you buy it.
- Keep the receipt with the gift card.
- Read the terms and conditions of the gift card.
- Use the card as soon as you can.
- Treat gift cards like cash.