How To Keep Track Of The Progress Of Your Tax Return?
We have received numerous queries at our office regarding tracking the progress of tax returns.
In this blog, we have compiled all the information given on the ATO website related to this topic. According to ATO, the quickest and easiest way to check the progress of your tax return is by using ATO online services.
How to Check the tax return progress online?
If you have a myGov account linked to the ATO, you can check the progress of your tax returns and amendments, and view your lodgements at any time for:
- the current year
- prior financial years.
If you haven’t got a myGov account, it’s easy to get started.
Log in or create a myGov account
Once you have logged in, from the home page select Manage tax returns, then select the financial year you are checking. The status shows how your tax return is progressing?
- Link your myGov account to the ATO
Check with your registered tax agent
If you lodged with a registered tax agent; your tax agent can check the progress of your tax return. You can still check the progress of your tax return at any time by logging in to our online services via myGov.
Check by phone
Use ATO self-help service at any time:
- phone 13 28 65 – have your tax file number handy
- choose option 1 and then option 1.
The status of your tax return
When you check the progress of your tax return using ATO online services, you might see one of these statuses (not all tax returns will display all of these):
- In progress – Processing
You may see this status at two stages of processing:
- ATO have received your tax return and ATO have started processing it, or
- ATO have finalised your tax return and are issuing a notice of assessment (you will see an estimated assessment issue date by clicking the down arrow).
In progress – Information pending
- ATO is collecting the information to finish processing your tax return. ATO will contact you if more information is required.
In progress – Under review
- ATO is manually reviewing your tax return to make sure everything is correct before finalising it. This may include reviewing your prior-year returns. ATO will contact you if more information is required.
In progress – Balancing account
- ATO is balancing the result of your tax return with your accounts with ATO and other Australian Government agencies and calculating the amount ATO will refund or you need to pay. ATO will contact you if more information is required.
- Don’t worry, your tax return has not been lost. ATO is reviewing your tax return, this may include ensuring you have included all the information that has been reported to the ATO. You should not attempt to lodge your tax return once again, as this may cause further delays. ATO will contact you if more information is required.
Issued – $ Amount
- You’ll be able to see your notice of assessment online, along with the date for payment and if you have entitled to a refund.
If you have provided valid Australian bank account details to the ATO when you have lodged your tax return, ATO will pay your refund directly into your nominated account.
Email and SMS communications
ATO may send you an email or SMS (text message) to let you know:
- if your tax return or refund has been delayed and why?
- when your refund is on its way?
ATO messages will never ask you to reply by SMS or email to provide personal information, such as your tax file number (TFN).
For more information, Reach us: 305 High St, Melton VIC 3337, Australia
Call 03 9706 9313, or book online at www.kpgtacation.com.au and your tax agent will be in touch to help.