According to newly released ATO guidelines, the JobMaker Hiring Credit scheme is an incentive for businesses to employ additional young job seekers aged 16–35 years.
Eligible employers can access the JobMaker Hiring Credit for each eligible additional employee they hire between 7 October 2020 and 6 October 2021.
- will be able to register with ATO from 6 December 2020. See Registering for JobMaker Hiring Credit.
- can claim payments from ATO in arrears from 1 February 2021. See JobMaker Hiring Credit key dates.
- can claim payments for eligible additional employees for up to 12 months from their employment start date.
- cannot claim JobKeeper and the JobMaker Hiring Credit at the same time.
From 15 January 2021, ATO will write to employers who have registered for the JobMaker Hiring Credit and encourage them to check they meet all eligibility criteria before they claim. This will help make sure that:
- eligible employers can make a claim from 1 February 2021
- there are no delays in their payments being processed.
Employers that are not eligible to claim the JobMaker Hiring Credit may be able to claim other support payments from the Department of Education, Skills and Employment External Link.